Complex AU - Zendaya Women Of The Year

10:55 PM

I love that Zendaya is Complex's women of the year. I think she's a perfect role model for young girls and she just acts like herself. In a world where our internet lives and perception tends to be more important to the world its nice to see someone in the public eye being themselves and kicking ass in life whilst helping others.  first time i came across her was while I was doing red carpet post for the blog a few years ago. I love that she isn't afraid  to be herself and will put people in her place when needed. Heres some of my favourite parts of the interview.
Complex AU - Zendaya Women Of The Year fashion racism taylor swift bad blood

Complex AU - Zendaya Women Of The Year fashion racism taylor swift bad blood

Complex AU - Zendaya Women Of The Year fashion racism taylor swift bad blood



Complex AU - Zendaya Women Of The Year fashion racism taylor swift bad blood

Complex AU - Zendaya Women Of The Year fashion racism taylor swift bad blood

Complex AU - Zendaya Women Of The Year fashion racism taylor swift bad blood

Complex AU - Zendaya Women Of The Year fashion racism taylor swift bad blood


Has there been a moment when you felt really out of place?
Maybe a little bit. I went to a predominately white private school in the [Oakland] Hills where my dad was a teacher, and then I went to a school in downtown Oakland that was predominantly black. It was interesting to learn and see the differences, but I also realized how easy it was for me to adapt to both. I’m proud of both and I can fit into any kind of scenario or situation.

You wore dreadlocks to the Oscars and Giuliana Rancic said that you looked like you smell like patchouli oil or weed. You responded on Instagram, writing that Rancic’s remarks were “ignorant slurs” and “outrageously offensive.” What’s the response been since you called her out?

Honestly, only positive. It was a learning experience for myself and for everyone who read it. A lot of people don’t realize that hair is a big thing for a lot of people, not just African-American women. It’s something to be aware of and to be cautious of. So it was something that I really felt like I should speak on. There were so many women, of all races, that came up to me and were like, “I really love what you said,” or “I had my daughter read that.”
All my brothers and my dad at one point had dreadlocks. My little nieces have curly hair. And if they were to have someone say something demeaning about what they have and what they hold dear to them, then I would want them to at least have the pride within themselves to come up with a response that made sense and that they were proud of. Honestly, I think about my little nieces and my little nephews first. Because one day they’re going to have Twitter and they’re going to have Instagram, and I’m going to be like, “This is how you handle it, kids.”

Do you actively think about being a role model?
Of course. I think it’s a responsibility, but like Tupac Shakur, I’m a real model. Which means: I’m not pretending to be something that I’m not, because like he said, people are going to be disappointed when they find out who you are, because it’s not going to be what you presented to the world. So just keep it real. I’m a good kid and that’s all.

Real the Full interview at Complex AU

You Might Also Like

0 comments

www.instagram.com/@everyday_like_this